WP1 – Work package 1
1. To coordinate ethics approval across sites
2. To recruit three cohorts of young people for assessment of risk factors, piloting a preventative intervention, and studying the effects of the intervention to reduce risk for PUI
3. To ensure optimal retention rates of participants
WP1 leads developing sampling, recruitment, and retention strategies, together with ethics approval, for consecutively recruiting 3 cohorts of adolescents (12-16 y) across 9 European sites to assess potential determinants of risk of PUI and to implement a pilot intervention followed by a targeted intervention for PUI. This work will be developed in collaboration with WP2 (assessment), WP3 (intervention), WP4 (co-creation with young people) and WP6 (governance). Participants will be drawn from local schools after close collaboration with education services.
The work from WP1 allows validation of the feasibility and utility of designed interventions.
Task 1.1 Ethics and legal issues (M1-M33)
Lead partner and participants UoH, UPORTO, FIBHGM, JGU Mainz, UZH, ELTE, LSMU, VUA, CHUM
• All relevant ethics and governance procedures including ethics approval are centrally coordinated by UZH (with WPs 2-5).
• We ensure that all governance, legal and ethical issues including issues related to research on minors e.g., human rights issues related to consent, safety and privacy in relation to digital monitoring of behaviours and internet-use, and use of incentives, comply with relevant local research ethics committee approval processes266.
Task 1.2 Coordination of recruitment (M1- M42)
Lead partner and participants UZH, UPORTO, FIBHGM, UoH, JGU Mainz, ELTE, LSMU, VUA, CHUM
• We will develop sampling and recruitment strategies for implementation of assessments, surveys and interventions in coordination with all 9 sites.
• We will recruit consecutively three cohorts of adolescents to 1) assess potential determinants of PUI via internet-based school surveys, 2) implement pilot interventions and 3) implement targeted interventions.
• We will work with WP2-5 to ensure assessments and recruiting strategies are appropriate for adolescents. Recruiting strategies are locally adapted based on schools’ systems.
Task 1.3 Retention of participants (M1-M45)
Lead partner and participants FIBHGM, UPORTO, UoH, JGU Mainz, UZH, ELTE, LSMU, VUA, CHUM
• We will design and develop appropriate retention strategies acting with the 9 recruitment sites and after consulting with youth (with WP4).
• We will develop a risk map to assess and evaluate all the possible factors associated with attrition as well as potential solutions together with the 9 recruitment sites and with youth (in collaboration with WP4).
• We will continuously monitor response rates and develop risk-response strategies as needed (with WP2 & 3).